The first 30 minutes
When you first hear the news that someone in the school community has died, the situation may feel fairly chaotic so it is important to understand that there is no set way of responding. You know your school and its uniqueness but this programme will give you some ideas on things that are important to consider.
It is likely that you will be feeling shocked yourself so give yourself time to process the information you have received.
- Check any relevant policies you may have, such as Critical Incident Policy or Bereavement Policy
- Identify a team that can help you
- Contact the family to ensure you have correct and up to date information
- Arrange a staff briefing, remembering absentees and part-timers
- Identify any vulnerable staff members or pupils
Video and linked quotes